Strength and resilience, that's what got Lucy her American Girl doll. After coming down with a typical case of strep throat while on the family's annual snowmobiling trip, Lucy's condition deteriorated to the point where she needed to be admitted to the hospital when they returned home. Lucy spent 11 days in the hospital, and while there, had a dangerous allergic reaction to dye. Diagnosed with asthma, the caregivers at Avera Children's Hospital got her on the right course of treatment. During her hospital stay, Lucy received an American Girl doll as a testament to her bravery and determination to overcome obstacles. Today, Lucy's made a full recovery and recounts the fun times she had doing crafts with the child life specialists. Her parents are grateful for the loving care they received and have even returned to the hospital to visit the staff.